I was doing a fresh install of Server 2012 R2 Essentials on a brand new HP ML310e Gen8 v2 and after installing and logging in for the first time I would go through the Essentials Wizard filling out the company information.
This is for a new domain, and I was not joining it to an existing domain as i wanted a clean setup. Since it isn’t part of a domain, as i saw in some articles, adding ServerAdmin$ into group policy isn’t applicable.
Things I tried:
Redownloading from VLSC website
burning another DVD
Installing with and without using HP Intelligent Provisioning
I opened a case with Microsoft. They were not sure what the issue was after connecting remotely and viewing the logs.
We decided to do a fresh install, and start from the beginning. After that was done I got them back on the phone and filled out everything in the wizard, only this time I decided to keep everything the same, except the password. I clicked finish and sure enough, it was working, after 8 hours of trying to figure this out, it didn’t like the password I was using, but it didn’t tell me that. The company, server, and domain name were all similar, and the first 4 letters matched the rest, which is where I believe the issue came in, if only they had coded the wizard to tell me this….